Moving Your Home Checklist
Two Months Before your move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using a professional mover.
- If you need a rental truck for a "do-it-yourself-move," contact a rental company:
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home.
- Create a list for inventory of your belongings. This is helpful in preparing a garage or moving sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced.
- Transfer all school records for your children.
- Finalize your decision on a mover.
- If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival. (New paint, new locks, etc.)
- Consider your children in the move. Plan ahead and visit our Moving with Children Guide
One Month Before your move
- Change your address - you can do this online
- Change you address with the IRS - you can do this online
- Make any travel arrangements where you will need an airline, train, hotel, bus or car rental.
- Research the area into which you will be moving for clubs, civic organizations and churches, so that you can change your membership.
- Contact medical and dental offices to receive records, asking these professionals for referrals and continuing prescriptions.
- Establish a new checking account.
- Research local laws about home-based businesses and business licenses if you own or operate your own business.
- Make an inventory list of all of your belongings.
- Arrange for your pets to be transported.
- Use up or finish and discard household items so that there is less to pack and move.
Two Weeks Before your move
- Forward your magazines to your new address.
- Forward your newspaper to your new address.
- Forward your old email to your new email address.
- Contact all of your utilities and change your service to your new address.
- Organize those helping you on the day of the move.
- Confirm all travel reservations you have made.
- If moving appliances, make sure they are inspected before the move.
- Pack all clean clothing.
- Close your bank accounts, making sure you have ample cash for the move. The remainder of the funds should be transferred to your new bank.
- Keep important documents and valuables close at hand during the move.
- Prepare for the move of any infant or small children.
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move.
- Provide relatives with your travel information.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Moving Day Has Arrived!
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items that are valuable or important to you during the move.
- You may want to purchase travelers checks instead of cash during the move.
We have provided some informative links for you and your family that will make your transition, smooth.
USPS Movers Guide
Personal Moving Planner